Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Pause That Refreshes

I must say I am thankful we have elected a new president. I haven't even had to put up with all the TV ads (seeing as we don't have a TV) but there as been so much emphasis on division that now it is nice to get on with the program. I am also thankful that the leader of our nation will change in 3 months or so and it will be peaceful. I am thankful that no one will run us out of our neighborhood on finding who we did or didn't vote for. America is a good land. 


As I was mopping the floor this afternoon I took a couple of moments to ponder the historical moment we are a part of. Our nation has just elected an African American man to the highest office in the land. There is a deep sense of satisfaction that swells up within me when I think about this. To think that in a land where slavery on the basis of color ruled less than 150 years ago, Barack Obama will now be sworn in as its leader. It is a sobering moment. Sobering that it took so long;  and sobering that there was so much injustice and innocent blood shed in the process. It is also exciting. Exciting because there are good things happening in America. Just think, people of all creeds and colors joined together to elect Obama. The ability to vote was not based on the color of ones skin! Yes, good has been done here! Good in the sense that such a degree of reconciliation and freedom exists in America today. 

I do not personally agree with all of Mr. Obama's opinions ( I did not agree with all of Mr. McCain's opinions either) however, now that he is the president elect I intend to support and respect  him in that role. 

0 comments: